The process of moving out of a house or apartment and into a new place is regarded as being highly complicated when the fact it doesn’t have to be like that. It can be a simple and organized process which doesn’t turn your world upside down for a day or even more than that. But, of course, this requires planning.
During this phase you should pretty much get ready for the big day when you’ll actually move out and gather everything you need. Get all the packing supplies you’ll need such as boxes, markers, tape, etc. this is also when you should decide how you’re going to label and organize everything.
- Also, before you move, transfer all your utilities. Make a list and make sure it’s all taken care of. Don’t leave this to the last minute because it can take a while to make the transfer, as much as a month or even more.
You should also set up mail forwarding or apply for a change of address.
- Decide whether you want the help of friends or professionals and get help in advance. Make sure everyone is available, set a date and a time and make all the preparations.
- Before you start packing or during this process you might also want to put aside clothes or items that you no longer need or use so you can donate or sell them. This way you’ll have fewer things to take with you when you move out.
The packing phase
The actual part when you move out is easy and doesn’t last that much. The most time-consuming part is the packing phase. Make things easier by being organized.
- Sort the items. Decide how you want to sort everything. You can pack items by room, by function, by size, by type, etc. Find the best option for you.
- Put in place an inventory system. One solution could be to label the boxes and write down what each of them contains. However, this makes it difficult to search for a particular item. Another solution would be to use mobile software to do this. To make things super easy, you could also use qr codes to keep track of everything that a box contains.
- Color code the boxes. Even if you use labels, codes or software to keep track of everything and to find what you need more easily, it would also be a nice idea to color-code the boxes. For example, everything that goes in the living room can be put in boxes with yellow tags and so on.